If you search the Internet for the number of words that a blog post or article should contain, you will find a wide range of answers, ranging from 300 words to 2500 words in one article, but does that not seem a little ambiguous?
In fact, there is no set word count for a single article. Rather, the competing blogs, that is, the articles that occupied the first page of search results for the same keyword, determine this matter, not the author of the article.
How many words are in a perfect blog post
Take a simple example: suppose you want to write an article about "the best foods for pregnant women." Follow these steps to determine the number of words required in the article:
Enter the search term 'best food for pregnant women into the search box.
Then enter all or some of the articles from the first page of search results and count the number of words in each one.
Choose the article with the most words, say 1,100 words.
This means your article should be longer than 1,100 words.
This begs the question, "How will I quickly count the number of words in each article?"
Add word counter on Chrome
Of course, you will not manually count the number of words in each article, but there are several free tools to do so. Simply enter the Google Chrome extension market and search for (word counter), and it will show you many extensions that calculate the number of words. Use if you want a specific edition (Word counter plus).
- After installing the Chrome extension, go to the page where you want to count the number of words, select the entire content of the page, then right-click on any specific place on the page and choose Word Counter plus, a window will appear with the number of words and other information that does not interest us.
- It is possible that you will come across some sites, particularly in Arabic, that disable the selection and copying feature, making the process of calculating the number of words automatically difficult, so you must calculate manually as follows:
- Calculate the number of lines in the post, then multiply it by the average number of words per line to get an idea of how many words are in the post.
- You can also use this tool while writing your article; whenever you want to know the number of words, press Ctrl + A to select all and then use the extension to count them.
Why is the number of words in an article important for SEO?
In fact, no one knows the exact criteria and algorithms by which search engines are programmed to avoid being manipulated, but at the same time, Google provides us with a set of instructions that help us improve our appearance in search results; there is no explicit mention of the impact of the number of words, but there are some tips that can be translated as many words, such as:
- The article should provide a thorough description of a topic: that is, an overview of all the elements and questions that arise from the topic, and this should not be done in a few words. For example, if you want to write an article about why ice floats on water, you must explain several things, such as the molecular structure of ice and Hydrogen bonding, before explaining the law of buoyancy and others. The answer to all the questions that may arise in the reader's mind can only be provided by a lengthy article.
- Inclusion of a greater number of keywords: We all know how important keywords are in SEO, so increasing the number of words in the article does not imply increasing the number of keywords, but rather targeting several keywords in one article. For example, if you wrote an article titled "Why the color of the sky is blue," you can add a subheading at the end of the article "Why does the sky tend to turn red at sunset," which is a search term other than the main keyword in the article.
- According to specialist analysis, the majority of visitors do not read the entire article, but rather browse it in search of the information they are looking for in the titles and images, and they may keep the article link in order to return to it again or share it with others, all of these factors give search engines indications that the article is of high quality.
How to increase the number of words without affecting the quality of the article?
I'd like to focus on a very common mistake in Arabic content: lengthening the article by lengthening the introduction. This is a factor that strongly influences the reader's interaction with the information provided, and he may close the page immediately if he finds excessive filling, or he may go directly to search for the information that is presented. He searches for it without reading the article or a portion of it, which affects how search engines evaluate the content.
Increasing the number of words is done by going into detail rather than by using too many generalities.
Going into the details gives the reader a positive, confident impression of the author, which encourages him to continue reading on the one hand and share the article with others on the other, raising the quality of the article in search engines, but how do I find the details I'm looking for
It's simple: search for similar searches at the bottom of the search page to find questions related to your article or similar search words that you can add to your article without making it repetitive. You can also search on Koora for similar questions to find the information you need.
Bigger content needs a bigger format
Increasing the number of words without formatting the article may result in the visitor not feeling comfortable at first sight when entering your article and closing the page quickly, according to SEO specialists' analyses and statistics, the majority of visitors do not read the entire article, but rather check it with their own eyes through titles and images in search of the information they are looking for about her.
As a result, the larger the content, the more important the article format, which includes the following elements:
- When necessary, add subheadings and subheadings.
- Make a table of contents that includes the article's titles and sections.
- When possible, include illustrations.